Proper Media is an exciting company in a fast-paced industry. Having recently made the Inc. 500 list of the fastest-growing private companies in America, we are looking for an experienced senior software engineer or architect to join our team.
Our code runs on some of the most trafficked sites on the Web, which is why you need to be able to write code that is scalable, secure, maintainable, and well-documented. Similarly, your ability to create new features and fix bugs throughout our technology stack is essential. We are looking for someone who is a quick learner, good problem-solver, and can work independently. Constantly learning new technologies is a prerequisite for this position and for our company to stay on the cutting edge of the publishing and advertising industry.
We are looking for someone who can develop a whole-system view of our business and systems and put it to use by designing and creating major components to help us grow in features and capacity. Having worked in large and small development teams, you can use your experience to mentor and lead junior developers. You understand best practices because you have used them to solve problems in the full-cycle development process, which you understand thoroughly.
You need to be able to communicate well, both verbally and in writing, since our team members work closely with each other and frequently have to interact with clients directly.
- 5+ years architecting major components or whole applications; a holistic view of the system
- 8+ years of HTML / CSS
- 5+ years SQL (MySQL or PostgreSQL preferred)
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of best practices, design patterns, and algorithms
- 5+ years of OO PHP
- 3+ years of AWS: EC2, S3, Kinesis, Redshift, RDS, Elastic Beanstalk, ELBs, & auto-scaling
- Familiarity with web frameworks (Laravel, CodeIgniter, Symphony, Django, Rails, Express, Meteor, etc.)
- Unix / Linux sysadmin skills
- Git and GitHub (or similar)
- Designing, implementing, and consuming RESTful and SOAP-based APIs
- Superior analytical ability as demonstrated by a scientific/engineering degree or equivalent experience
- Security-conscious design and coding skills
- Experience operating in and optimizing your code for a high-volume and high-transaction environment
- Experience with online advertising technology and/or programmatic buying
- UI / UX design
- CMS: Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, etc.
- Graphic design using Photoshop
- Docker: containers, deployments, and dev environments
- Test-driven development or creating automated unit tests
- Full health and dental
- 401(k) with matching
- Flexible vacation policy plus ten paid company holidays
- A casual, but high-energy work environment
- Kitchen stocked with snack, Lacroix, etc
- Steps to the beach
This is an incredible opportunity to join a team where you will be challenged and supported at the same time. If you think your skills and personality are a good fit, please apply by sending us your resume and a paragraph or two about why we should consider you.