Proper Media is an exciting company in a fast-paced industry. Having recently made the Inc. 500 list of the fastest-growing private companies in America, we are looking for an experienced Senior QA Engineer to join our team.
Our code runs on some of the most trafficked sites on the Web, which is why the quality of our code must be second to none. We are looking for an expert to help lead the effort of building quality into every step of our development process. With the help of our team, you need to act as the gatekeeper to the quality of our product by helping us shape and enforce the process that makes this a reality. The final product will be code that is scalable, secure, maintainable, well-documented, meets our needs, and exceeds our customers' expectations.
As with any industry, you will have to be a functional expert in programmatic online advertising and header bidding. If you are not already an expert in this industry, the demonstrated ability to learn new domains thoroughly and quickly will be a great starting point. You will need to understand and use our software at the same level as our customers and our internal users. Based on your understanding of the needs of our customers and our design goals, you will develop manual and automated tests for software defect fixes and new products.
On the technical front, you need to be able to code automated tests; as well as, understand and troubleshoot existing code as necessary. We are looking for someone who is a quick learner, good problem-solver, and can work independently. Constantly learning new technologies is a prerequisite for this position and for our company to stay on the cutting edge of the publishing and advertising industry.
You will need hands-on experience with the full software development cycle, including the gathering of requirements, writing of specifications, and developing manual or automated test plans. Formal QA experience from the functional side will be essential.
The majority of our codebase is in PHP and NodeJS, which is why those languages must be part of your core competency. However, you must be equally comfortable with any number of languages, tools, and technologies. Good portions of our technology stack are web-centric, which is why an understanding of HTML, CSS, and client-side JS is a must.
We are looking for someone who can develop a whole-system view of our business and systems and put it to use by formalizing requirements and tests, automating tests, and automating our build, deploy, and release processes. You understand best practices because you have used them to solve problems in the full-cycle development process, which you understand thoroughly.
You need to be able to communicate well, both verbally and in writing, since our team members work closely with each other and frequently have to interact with clients directly.
- 5+ years of creation and execution of manual test scripts
- 5+ years of writing automated test scripts
- 3+ years of experience gathering requirements and writing specifications
- 3+ years of OO PHP
- 3+ SQL (MySQL or PostgreSQL preferred)
- 3+ years of HTML / CSS
- 2+ years of test-driven development or creating automated unit tests
- 2+ years of configuring and running continuous integration environments
- Unix / Linux sysadmin skills
- Git and GitHub (or similar)
- Understanding of and experience consuming RESTful and SOAP-based APIs
- Security-conscious design and coding skills
- Experience operating in and optimizing your code for a high-volume and high-transaction environment
- Experience with online advertising technology and/or programmatic buying
- UI / UX design
- CMS: Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla, etc.
- Graphic design using Photoshop
- AWS: Redshift, EC2, Kinesis, Elastic Beanstalk, ELBs, auto-scaling
- Docker: containers, deployments, and dev environments
- Full health and dental
- 401(k) with matching
- Flexible vacation policy plus ten paid company holidays
- A casual, but high-energy work environment
- Kitchen stocked with snack, Lacroix, etc
- Steps to the beach
This is an incredible opportunity to join a team where you will be challenged and supported at the same time. If you think your skills and personality are a good fit, please apply by sending us your resume and a paragraph or two about why we should consider you.